Life is not all cakes and ale. Everyone had and will have to deal with emotional and physical stress. Someone was bitter over the lost love; another was disappointed in his friend, other person lost the job and someone had to deal with a huge threat to their health. There are lots of examples like these. Sometimes it makes us stronger and wiser, but sometimes we are not strong enough and depression takes over. And vitamins for depression helps us beat this disease.
It takes time, support and love to deal with depression. If the negative emotions, bad mood, apathy, the feeling of worthlessness, headaches, loss of appetite and sexual activity, insomnia last for at least two weeks, one will need a help of a specialist. But at first, there are some things you can do to cope with depression by your own (if it wasn’t caused by other mental disorder).
You can try healthy balanced eating, with such vitamins as C, E, H, B-group vitamins, folic acid, and other essential elements.
Vitamins for depression
In the moments of tense anxiety and defatigation vitamins work as medications and antioxidants, neutralizing free radicals (stress “products”) and maintaining biological balance.
The most powerful in beating depression are B vitamins. They have a wholesome effect on immune system, maintain the vascular system in a good health, help to assimilate nutritious substances and participate in the synthesis of vital organism compounds.
This group consists of 8 elements that complement each other. And that’s why all vitamin complexes for depression include all 8 components of this group:
- B1 or thiamine
- B3 or niacin
- B5 or pantothenic acid
- B6 or pyridoxine
- B7 (sometimes known as vitamin H) or biotin
- B9 or folic acid
- B12 or cyanocobalamin
These vitamins don’t synthesize by our organism and the only way to get them is from other products.
These vitamins can be found in in quantity in pig liver and kidneys, chicken meat, flatfish, eggs, nuts, potatoes, bananas, beans, fish, bread, greens, pepper, calamari, dairy products, sunflower seeds and brown rice. By eating all of the mentioned above you can prevent chronic fatigue.
Vitamin C is the most powerful antioxidant. It helps beat the stress, prevent depression and fatigue.
By regulating adrenokinetic, it assists in cortisol production. This element strengthens nails, hair, renews skin and improves the human’s appearance. What is more, it helps to form bone tissue.
Vitamin C reaches the peak of its activity when there are enough flavonoids, carotenoids and E vitamin in the organism.
Though the organism synthesizes this vitamin, it can also be found in:
- Citrus Plants
- Red pepper
Vitamin A, also known as growth vitamin, also has anti-oxidative abilities. It strengthens the immune system, keeps the eyes, mucous membranes, prostate gland, uterus and lungs in a good health, and it protects from acute respiratory diseases. It also helps to deal with emotional instability and chronic fatigue.
The natural sources of the vitamin are:
- Red pepper
- Red apples
Vitamin E (tocopherol) maintains normal viscera functioning and is responsible for immune system and producing sex hormones. People call it “ladies” vitamin and vitamin of beauty.
Can be found in:
Vitamin D3 strengthens immune, nervous and bone systems, impacts the condition of the cardiac muscle, keeps the normal emotional state. Besides, it regulates metabolism, sleeping routine, emotional stability and it reduces the receptivity of negative situations.
It is produced by the organism when the sunlight touches the skin. It can be found in butter, egg yolk, cod liver oil.
Read more about Natural Remedies for Depression
Vitamin complex tablets
All the vitamins mentioned above do their best when work together in the complex. Nowadays anyone can find numerous dietary supplements and balanced vitamin complex vitamins at a pharmacist.
They help to improve stress immunity, the way one feels and his appearance, help to reduce mental stress, help to deal with insomnia.
The human organism is a super complex mechanism, and one will need not only vitamins but lots of various elements to keep it safe and sound.
- Tryptophan, which gets to the organism together with carbohydrates and proteins, is the most important one. It can be found in dates, turkey meat, cheese and bananas.
- Tryptophan is amino acid and predecessor of the serotonin. Its deficiency causes apathy and depression.
- Dopamine is also very important. Despite the fact that it is not a neurotransmitter, it helps to pass neural impulses. It is synthesized by the organism from tyrosine using magnesium, vitamins B12 and B19. Tyrosine can be found in bananas, lima beans, sesame seeds, home cheese, almond, damp peanut, avocado and dairy products.
- If your body and organism lack zinc, the depression might get hold of you. A brilliant example of that is a postpartum depression. In 24 hours before the birth the organism takes all the zinc reserve from the mother and passes it to the child. To make up for the loss eat brown rice, mushrooms, asparagus, radish and marine algae.
- Fatty acids are essential in depression treatment. They are the material for synthesizing prostaglandins that are responsible for a good mood. The diet for beating depression should include sea fish, beef, spinach, walnuts and shrimps.
- Glycine is another building component, neurotransmitter, which regulates metabolic processes and activates defensive inhibition processes. Its deficiency leads to the irritability, quick fatigability and inability to concentrate. The element is synthesized inside our bodies. To make up for the deficiency – take glycine pills.
Depression can be triggered not only by the vitamins deficiency but also vitamins oversupply. High magnesium level promotes the development of the depressive disorder. If you eat lots of fat – it can also become the reason of depression and suicidal thoughts. In this case it is advised to switch to the lean protein, which can be found in fish, chicken, and cultured milk foods. During depression it is better to stint oneself in eating sweets.